Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Where has the time gone?

Today our baby turns 10!  I remember the day I found out I was pregnant like it was just yesterday.  I was 20, scared to death and had no idea what I was going to do.  I found out when I was five and a half months along so it was a short pregnancy and I had very little time to stay in the state of shock.  A week after I found out I was headed to my ultrasound to see what I was having.  If ya'll know her you know she is strong minded and stubborn as all get out (not sure who she got that from).  So of course she was NOT cooperative and had her legs crossed so I didn't get to find out what I was having.  In my mind I just knew I was having a girl.  I dreamt about her, I couldn't pick a boy name to save my life and all I saw was pink when I went to the stores.  Thank God I was right!  Since the day I had her my life has changed.  Now... I know you are thinking...everyone's life changes when they have a kid.  What I mean is...I was just a baby myself, still lived at home, didn't have a great job, hadn't finished college, picked real winners for boyfriends and just couldn't seem to find myself in this huge world.  The day I had her was the day I woke up.  I was no longer living for myself, my job was to raise this little girl to be somebody, to make a difference, to thrive for excellence and it was my job to teach her and show her the way.  Can we say overwhelming?  I still had my struggles but I knew hands down I was gonna strive to do the best I could and in the process be the role model I knew she needed. 


To Amiya Lynn (A.K.A. Sis, Nell, Bug, Nell Boogie, Milla, Mika and whatever other names we seem to come up with on a weekly basis),


You are an amazingly beautiful person inside and out. You continually impress us with your soft heart and your strong mind.  You love to help (when it's your idea), you love pleasing people, you love talking about your childhood, you love having your own style, you are not scared to make new friends or meet new people, you can tap like mommy always wished she could, you are a little teacher and sometimes think you know everything, you are so eager to learn (even though homework time is a battle EVERY week) and you have a soft spot for old people and animals that is just adorable.  You know what you want and not a day goes by that you don't express that (may be a bit hard for us to raise you but I know this will be an advantage when you are an adult).  Without you I'm certain I wouldn't be the woman I am today.  You've created strength and will in me that I never had before.  May God continue to bless you and may you continue to bless those around you with your presence.  You are truly one of a kind! 


Slices of Life, Vol. 1 (Favorite Memories of Amiya)


She was about 1 1/2 years old.  I sat her in her high chair and gave her some strawberry yogurt.  She was always very good with hand-eye coordination and any time I'd try to help her eat I got "I DO IT!" so I let her go for it.  I stepped away to use the restroom and when I returned I found a little girl who had rubbed strawberry yogurt all over her arms.  My jaw dropped and she says "Yook Mommy, notion" (Yook = Look, notion = lotion).  Every time I see Johnson's baby lotion I see my sweet 1 1/2 year old covered in strawberry yogurt. 


She was about 3 1/2 years old.  We were at home, she was watching Monsters Inc and I was doing dishes while talking on the phone.  Out of the corner of my eye I see her little feet patter to the bathroom, and then 2 seconds later patter back to the room.  There was a sheen to her...like a...not so good sheen.  I quickly got off the phone and went to the room to find her head covered with an inch thick of coconut oil conditioner, my sheets colored with it and my TV lathered.  Since she was little we've used this on her hair.  For those of you who don't know...this stuff is like paste out of a tube and it's as greasy as butter.  Not only did she get her first whoopin but we had to wash her hair 10 times in the hottest water she could handle to melt the grease out of her hair.  I look back and it seems cute but momma sure was mad! 


She was about 4 years old.  We were at home and my nephew was over.  It was lunch time and I was trying to figure out what to make the kiddos.  I suggested grilled cheese sandwiches and she never says no to cheese and carbs.  I asked her to ask her cousin if he wanted one too and she looked at me with straight disgust and said "Tanner does NOT eat girl cheese sandwiches, he eats boy cheese sandwiches!"  I love making girl cheese sandwiches now!


Ending the post with a toast to the most adorable, caring and funny little 10 year old girl I've ever known!  We love you Sis!

1 comment:

  1. Awwww, so cute. Stop making me cry with your memories! Yook mommy is so fricken cute! Love you Kenz

    ReplyDelete